Tuesday, December 29, 2015

I Want to be Used by God

There are so many little, trivial things in my life. I fix the kids breakfast, pack lunches, do the dishes, wash the laundry, go to my work, cook dinner, all of the things that busy moms everywhere do. I make hundreds of tiny small decisions every day: do we go to the store or make due with what we have at home? Do I read my book or play a family board game? Do I watch this t.v show that I really like, or pick something else that maybe the kids would enjoy a little more? None of these moment by moment decisions are huge leaps of faith or make a giant impact on the world around me. 

I serve a mighty God, and I want to be used by God to do mighty things. In her devotional "Jesus Calling" Sarah Young writes from the perspective of God, "What I can accomplish in and through you is proportional to how much you depend on me." 

Psalm 40:4 says "Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods." This verse says that I will be blessed if I trust in the Lord. That if I don't turn away and pursue false gods or idols in my life, I will be blessed. How does this relate to the fact that I want to be used by God? 

God will work through those who trust Him, who follow Him, who do not rely on their own pride and strength. If I trust God, if I obey Him every day in even the smallest of moments, he will use me in mighty ways. When I am fixing breakfast and the kids start fighting and screaming each other, when I choose to respond in a loving tone rather than yelling, I am obeying God. When I am looking at my bank balance and I realize that picking up yet another quick dinner at the grocery store is not wise, so I choose to work with what I have at home instead, I am honoring God with my finances. When I put aside a selfish desire to watch a television show with inappropriate content and instead spend time playing a game with my kids, I am honoring God with my time. "If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good things of the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken" (Isaiah 1:19-20). 

I might never know the impact that my small decisions have on the lives of those around me. I may never hear some grand proclamation that because of me, someone found God. But I will know, deep in my heart, that when I obey God in even the smallest things in my life, I am being used by a mighty God, and He will do mighty things!

No comments:

Post a Comment