Wednesday, February 3, 2016

They Would Give up Jesus for Income and Security

Mark Chapter 5: 1-20 tells the story of a demon possessed man wandering in the graveyard. Jesus comes in and casts out the "Legion" of demons possessing this man into a herd of pigs. The pigs then rush down the hill into the sea and drown. This man had lived his life with thousands of demons residing in him, making it impossible for him to be around other people or even to function as a human being. When word came to the town that he had been healed, people rushed out to see the results. "When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. Those who had seen it told the people what had happened to the demon-possessed man - and told about the pigs as well. Then the people began to plead with Jesus to leave their region" (Mark 5:15-17, NIV).

Jesus had just saved a man's life! He had rescued him from thousands of demons, but the people asked him to leave. In the Life Application Study Bible the comment for the above verses says, "They may have also feared that Jesus would continue destroying their pigs - their livelihood. They would rather give up Jesus than lose their source of income and security." When I first read that I thought, how could you give up Jesus for income?!? But then I realized, haven't I?

What about those days when I am rushing to get ready for work and get the kids out the door for school... I am in such a rush that I don't take the time to spend with Jesus. I rush to the car, put the Christian radio station on in the van and call that my worship time. I have essentially told God that my own poor planning and rush to get to work is more important than my time with Him. There have been so many days when I have hurried to get onto my to do list and completely left God behind in my haste. On those days I have told Jesus, my checklist of things to do is more important than you. I would rather have my income, my clean house, my fresh baked goodies, than you.

Jesus has rescued me from my own demons, from own muddy pit of sin, and I tell him, please leave my region. Leave me to live life my way. My life will not work that way, and I have seen that play out many times. Today I say to God... Fill me with YOUR presence Lord, make you my priority, far above my income and my long to do list. I want to be like the demon possessed man, who after he was healed longed to do nothing but be with Jesus. Thank you God, for rescuing me from the demons in my heart and bringing me into relationship with you.




No comments:

Post a Comment